Barambah produces hand-crafted wines from world class pastoral land in the South Burnett, Queensland.
In 1861, Queensland’s first Governor, Sir George Bowen, when he visited the South Burnett declared that it was ‘the greatest pastoral district of the whole colony’. Barambah in the South Burnett has, for generations, exemplified first class produce – its future is first class wine… pure quality, pure Queensland.
In order to produce ‘wine without compromise’ we have sourced the best winemaking products and put together the best possible team of professionals. Primarily the wines will be available online; however selected restaurants and retailers will have small quantities from time to time.
Established in 1843 and one of the oldest stations in Queensland, Barambah has always had considerable prominence in the South Burnett. In its heyday it encompassed then different runs many of them originally 26 square miles, north to Goomeri, and to include Boat Mountain: in the east as far as Manumbar; south to Nanango and west to include Murgon and Cherbourg. The traditional land of the Wakka Wakka, ironbark ridges and apple tree flats, watered by numerous creeks.
Barambah has had comparatively few European owners, and all of them prominent figures in the development of Queensland. After the squatters Ferriter and Uhr had run their stock there in the late 1840s , the first to hold it officially was the Sydney merchant Richard ‘china’ Jones in 1850. His son, Thomas Jones, was joined for a few years in the 1870s by George Clapperton, and after them from 1876 Barambah was held by the Moore family for nearly a century. By then the Barambah Hereford Stud was famous, as were the racehorses. After three generations the Moores sold to the Vesteys in 1967, then Val Crowe took over in 1973, keen to move his stock up as the new Wivenhoe Dam engulfed his historic Bellevue.
It was said at the end of the nineteenth century that Barambah always held a first class title in squatting circles. From the very end of the twentieth century under the direction of owners Steven and Jane Wilson, this historic homestead has shown every sign that it carries on the old tradition that made the runs of the Burnett famous for their hospitality.