The Bracken Ridge area was originally devoted to farming and grazing. The school opened in November 1957.
Urban development in this region began in 1962 when the then Lord Mayor of Brisbane, Clem Jones, signed a $2 million agreement with the Barclay Development Corporation to build a satellite community behind Sandgate.
This development initially released 1,600 blocks of sewered land and included 6.8 hectares of parkland. The Housing Commission also subdivided 682 allotments and the first house built on these lots was completed in 1966. A state high school and a Catholic high school; St John Fisher College, were later established.
The St John Fisher College was built on land originally set aside for a seminary. This land had originally been owned by Bishop Quinn in 1861 and was known as Quinn’s Estate. This school was constructed after the land was made accessible by the construction of the Gateway Motorway and the Deagon Deviation. In 1978 the decision was made to relocate the senior school of Sacred Heart College at Sandgate to this site. The school opened in 1982.
Bracken Ridge is bounded by one of the oldest roads in the district, Telegraph Road, which originally linked Gympie Road to Sandgate, and one of the newest roads, the Gateway Arterial. The latter was constructed as a Bicentennial road project during the 1980s and has been duplicated recently.