Bundall was across the Nerang River from Surfers Paradise and was an Aboriginal word meaning a prickly vine.
Isolated on the northern riverbank amongst the thick covering of gums, palms and vine scrub is a row of lonely buildings which was the hub of Bundall Sugar Plantation.
The property was originally taken up by a well-connected Englishman called Edmund Henry Price who on his arrival in Brisbane around 1862, took up a large parcel of land at Bundall. The northern boundary of the property ran from the Nerang riverbank close to today’s Gold Coast City Council Administration and Arts Centre and then westward along the approximate line of Heeb Street and then south to join the present day Village High Road, Benowa.
Sugar cane proved to be a better crop than cotton for local conditions. The sugar plantation passed through a number of owners until the land was cut up into smaller portions. Farmers transported the harvested sugar cane to nearby Benowa Sugar Mill. Later the land was used for dairy farming until developers such as Efim Zola and Sir Bruce Small acquired land which they called Isle of Capri, a catalyst for future commercial and residential development.