Burnett Heads is a town at the mouth of the Burnett River in Queensland, Australia, located 16 km north of the regional city of Bundaberg. At the 2001 census, Burnett Heads had a population of 2,065.
The town’s most notable feature is its historic timber lighthouse, dating from 1873. The structure, originally sited on South Head (the southern entrance to the Burnett River), was replaced by a modern structure in 1971; the original lighthouse was restored and moved to a local park off Mittelheuser Street.
Burnett Heads is located in the Burnett Shire local government area.
Burnett Heads is situated at the mouth of the river and is home to boating, fishing and sailing clubs. Rock walls are favourite fishing haunts. The Oaks Beach provides a swimming area and rock pools brimming with sea life and corals. Accommodation at Burnett Heads includes a B&B, hotel/motel and caravan parks. Just upstream is Port Bundaberg with its wharves and imposing sugar terminal. MV “Lady Musgrave” and the “Spirit of Musgrave” depart from a modern facility here for cruises to the ref and whalewatching. Fresh seafood is available.