Gayndah is a town located on the Burnett River in Queensland, Australia. It is 366 kilometres north of the state capital, Brisbane, and 145 kilometres west of the regional city of Maryborough. The Burnett Highway passes through the town. Gayndah is the administrative and major population centre of the Gayndah Shire, which has a population of 2944 persons.
Exploration of the Gayndah area began in 1843. The first European settlers arrived in 1848, and the town was established in the following year. Agriculture and grazing have been the dominant industries of the area. The town is now the centre of Queenslands largest citrus growing area. The Gayndah Orange Festival is held every two years to celebrate this industry.
Gayndah was considered for the capital of Queensland, but lost to Brisbane because the river was not deep enough, thus making it impossible for large cargo ships to unload near the city. Gayndah is also the oldest official town in Queensland. The explorers Archer and Burnett establishing it in 1849.
Gayndah is a pleasant rural township located on the Burnett River 366 km northwest of Brisbane, 144 km west of Maryborough and 104 m above sea level. It lies at the heart of Queensland’s citrus area and proudly claims to be ‘The Orange Capital of Queensland’. This claim to fame is given some added weight by the huge ‘Big Orange’ at the end of town.
In 1847 James Burnett surveyed the river which was eventually named after him. The following year the first land settlement occurred in the Gayndah area and large holdings were established at Ideraway, Ban Ban, Wetheron and Mount Debateable. A tiny settlement known as Norton’s Camp sprung up as a crossing point on the Burnett River. Its name was later changed to Gayndah which, according to local legend, was the Aboriginal word for ‘thunder’.