Macgregor has remained undeveloped for most of the time since white people settled Brisbane in 1824. A. Clauss and the Reedman Brothers were the original purchasers of almost all the land in the suburb when it was broken into large blocks for sale. The timber was cleared, and small farms later established. However, by 1922 there was still only a scattering of houses along Kessels Road and Springfield Creek.
Pacific Golf Links were opened in the 1930s – it extended from Logan Road along Kessels Road and down towards Mains Road. It was relocated to Creek Road when the suburb was subdivided for housing. The United States Army had a camp on Kessels Road during the war.
When it was originally explored and sold, Macgregor was an area in the large Coopers Plains region. Later it was part of Sunnybank. In 1967, as the area was increasingly subdivided and settled, Macgregor was established as a separate suburb.
Macgregor has experienced strong growth over the last five years and given the upgrading of the Southeast Freeway and the new Busway to the City, the area is assured continued growth and popularity into the future.
Most of the housing in the suburb is 25 years old in style brick high and low set. Built in the 70s, these homes are now frequently being renovated using the popular rendering method. There is very little land left for development.