The development of Manly West is integrally tied to that of Manly. It was officially bounded in 1975, but before that it existed as an extension of Manly.
Subdivision and development occurred later here than in Manly proper, and the region remained primarily rural while Manly became semi-residential and a popular holiday and day-tripper destination. Further development and subdivision took place after the Second World War, and in 1958, Manly West State School opened to cater for this booming population. From the 1970s to the 1990s even further developments have filled in many of the large areas of farming land in the suburb, so Manly West is primarily a residential area now, except on the fringes.
Manly West is about 13km from Brisbane’s CBD. Over 47% of households in this area are comprised of couples with children and a further 35% are couples without children. Stand alone house account for 87% of all dwellings in this area, with townhouses accounting for a further 10%. Manly West is one suburb inland from the bay and the most common style of housing in the area is modern, low-set brick houses. The median house price in Manly West for the 2004 calendar year was $360,000.