Millmerran is a town in the Darling Downs region of Queensland, Australia. The town is situated on the Gore Highway, 208 kilometres west of the state capital, Brisbane. Millmerran is the principal town of the Millmerran Shire Local Government Area. At the 2001 census, Millmerran had a population of 1,231.
Millmerran is located near a lookout commonly used by the local Aboriginal population prior to European settlement and the town’s name is believed to be derived from two words – “meel” meaning “eye” and “merran” meaning “to look out”. European settlement in the Millmerran area began in 1841 when the Gore brothers established the vast Yandilla station. Yandilla station covered an estimated 1,780 square kilometres and hosted its own school with 20 to 30 students, telegraph station and store. Closer settlement began after the passing of the Crown Lands Alienation Act in 1876, which allowed Edward Walpole to select a portion of Yandilla station. In 1881, Walpole established a general store on the site of what was known at the time as Back Creek. The town was later known as Domvale and by 1895 was known by its current name of Millmerran.
Today Millmerran is an important service centre for the surrounding farms. An excellent book titled Back Creek and Beyond: Millmerran’s Story of Change 1881-1981, edited by Nell Macqueen covers the development and history of the town and surrounding area in an interesting and entertaining way. Visitors wishing to know more about the town should visit the Millmerran Historical Society Museum.