Ashton is a town in South Australia. It was named by George Hunt in 1858 after his home Ashton in England. Ashton is from the old English word ‘aesctun’, which means ‘ash tree town’.
The Ashton Genral Store and Post office was established in 1986 by B & E Robertson and is today run by C Beaucamp.
The Ashton oval was home to the Eastern Ranges Footbal Club (Australian rules) until its disolution in the late 1990s. The clubrooms and grounds are still home to Eastern Ranges Cricket Club as well as a venue for Scout meetings and private functions. Facilities inlude one football/cricket oval, practice nets, tennis courts, change rooms, toilets, bar, kitchen and club rooms.
Located in the town’s center, the Ashton Hall is available for hire for public and private functions. Facilities include full kitchen, internal and external canteen windows, toilets, car park and stage in addition to the large, wood floored hall.
Fruit orchards represent a significant part of the land usage and history of Ashton. Yearly crops include cherries, apples, lemons, pears as well as many other fruits and vegetables. In addition, Ashton is home to facilities for the cold storage of produce although todays ease of transport and close proximity to Adelaide has meant they aren’t as extensively used as in the past.