Cudlee Creek is a small town near Adelaide, South Australia. It is located in the Adelaide Hills Council local government area.
The name Cudlee Creek is probably derived from Aboriginal Kaurna or possibly Peramangk language meaning the Dingo’s Creek.
The first European inhabitants of Cudlee Creek settled in 1838, when William Kelly, from the Isle Of Man, came to the area and established the Sulby Glen estate. A district history states that Sulby Glen was “…well-known for cheese-making. Quite a lot of wheat was grown; fruit trees were planted and a lot of potatoes marketed.” It became a significant exporter of apples and pears, and a cold store built in 1922 for a fruitgrowers’ cooperative is the most prominent building in the town.
Cudlee Creek is located south of Chain of Ponds on the road out of Adelaide via Athelstone (Gorge Road). The ABS 2001 census records 486 people living in 189 dwellings.
Gorge Road and Lobethal Road run through the suburb. The area is not serviced by Adelaide public transport. A coach is operated from Tea Tree Plaza Interchange to Gumeracha and Mount Pleasant by Affordable Coachlines.