Haslam is a small coastal village located 45 km North West of Streaky Bay. Situated next to the sheltered waters of Streaky Bay, Haslam is a common stop off for campers as they make their way across the Nullarbor Plain. The town itself has no major industrial or commercial connections anymore and contains limited resources including a camping ground and the town jetty.
Haslam was established in 1893 as a deep sea port to allow the shipping of supplies of machinery and food to the local settlers, as well as providing transport of local product to other parts of the state. When road transport took over in the 1960’s, this service died out. The town takes its name from William Haslam, who arrived in South Australia in 1869. In 1891, he was elected as the north-east representative of the Legislative Council which position he held until his death.
The 1410 ft town jetty was originally built in 1912 to allow the ships access to the coast, but is now half that length and serves as a popular fishing jetty.
The Haslam Township School first opened in 1920, before having its name changed to “Maildaburra” in 1921. A new school was built in 1930, and was renamed ‘Haslam’. The school finally closed on the opening of Perlubie School in 1983, and now serves as a museum.