The town of Sevenhill (postcode 5453) is in the Clare Valley region of South Australia, approximately 130 km north of Adelaide. It was settled by the Austrian Jesuit Fathers and Brothers in the 1840s. The name is taken from the reference of the seven hills of Rome.
The first settlers in the area were the Jesuits and the Prussian-born population who later established themselves at their property at Hill River, now adjoining Pikes Winery. Francis Weikert donated land for the first Jesuits to establish the current Saint Aloysius Church and Sevenhill Winery. Weikert is buried in the Sevenhill cemetery. It was from these first settlers that the vine rootlings were established, allowing the current winery industry to flourish.
A railway line was built from Riverton to Clare in 1919 and on to Spalding in 1922. It closed in 1974 and the tracks were removed in the 1980s, but the alignment now carries the Riesling Trail bike route.
Today, the Sevenhill township is home to a hotel, several bed and breakfast cottages, a CFS station and an antique shop. The community hall is also used as a weekend market stall.
The town’s oval is found east of the main cross road and supports a cricket team during the summer months.