Spalding is a small rural service centre and it is located 171 km from Adelaide and is a pleasant, small town located in a little patch of green in the desert which is the northern part of South Australia in summer. It is 43 km from the historic copper township of Burra. The road from Burra to Spalding passes through undulating land. The most distinctive feature of the road is that for a number of kilometres it is bounded on one side by a gas pipeline and on the other side by a canal. This is a very isolated area.
The town’s proximity to Burra meant that in the 1840s prospectors entered the area searching for possible copper mining sites. They were partially successful. The ‘Wheal Sarah’ mine was established and worked for a number of years.
The town of Spalding was founded by William Edward Lunn in 1875-76 with the District Council being proclaimed in 1885. It is likely that the town was named after Spalding in Lincolnshire which happened to be the birthplace of William Lunn.