Anson’s Bay is the name of both a geographical feature and a small township on the extreme north eastern coast of Tasmania. For much of the 20th century it was mostly engaged in the timber industry but is now mostly involved in fishing and tourism.
Anson’s Bay is within easy reach of St. Helens per a motor road. In the past it was nautically known as ‘The Bay o’ Fires’. Although isolated for many years, it has quite a story of antiquity, dating since about 1830. It has now, however, come within the sphere of modern circumstances. Famous since its inception as a premier bream fishing resort, it also enjoys all those advantages in climate for which the East Coast is proverbial. Campers and tourists flock here in the season, where homely accommodation and boats are provided. Here the remnants of all the fauna and flora tribes maintain their ways, but in greatly depleted numbers.
‘From ‘The She-oak Hills’, which face the broad Pacific Ocean, an embracing scene is obtainable of the coastline, and within this vision also of the lower lands which flank the sea shore…The first motor car to journey to Anson’s Bay was driven there by Dr Anderson in February, 1913.’