Avoca is a small village located approximately 80 km south east of Launceston in the island of Tasmania.
Avoca is situated on the banks of the South Esk River and was first settled in the 1830’s. It was originally named ‘St Paul’s Plains’ by the explorers who surveyed the area in 1833. The area was officially settled in 1834 as a farming, coal and tin mining village. Today mines in the area have closed and Avoca serves only as a farming community.
A number of historic buildings exist in the small town, including the St Thomas Anglican Church completed on 8 May 1842, the Parish hall completed around 1850, and the Union Hotel built in 1842. Nearby locations include Rossarden, Fingal and Storys Creek.