Bellingham is a tiny coastal hamlet in Northern Tasmania, situated on the mouth of the Pipers River directly opposite the town of Weymouth. About 60 km from Launceston, 20 km from Bridport and 30 km from George Town. The township is mostly made up of several shacks used during the summer time. The permanent residence is about 25 people. In recent years the George Town Council has upgraded many of the roads allowing better access. There is a camping ground, tennis court and a few beaches. East Beach can be accessed of Gees Marsh Road is able to be driven on to Bridport.
Originally called Pipers Heads, Bellingham was originally used as a watch for sailing vessels that went up the Pipers River to Weymouth. The wharf (Or the stumps that are left now)was burnt down at the turn of the century.
Recently, the Government has allowed certain shack owners to buy their land but some shack owners had to remove their shack as they were declared unsafe. This meant that some shacks like “Ghost Shack” a landmark that was brought to her present location in 1939 on a sledge, at lower Gees Marsh road are to be removed. Similarly “Butterworths” shack which was originally built in the 1920’s before being extended and then abandoned only to be destroyed by vandals in recent years.
Also in the Little Pipers River, there was a town surveyed as Fordington that was up until 20 years ago was a boom area till the Lands Department ordered many off their land. A tidal wave hit that area going back on Christmas Day in 2001. Although no warning to the deserted river area now, there was at least two witnesses who either saw the wave or was heading along the beach on that day.