Hamilton Is a small country town about 1 and a quarter hour’s drive from Hobart in Tasmania on the Lyell Highway.
Governor Macquarie named the locality as ‘Sorell Plains’, and it became locally known as ‘Macquarie’ and ‘Lower Clyde’.
Governor Arthur finalised a name for the locality in 1824
Hamilton was once a bustling frontier town that contained many inns and several working breweries. It was once destined to be the capital of Tasmania despite it’s vast distance from any port.
It contains a few small shops, many of them still dating back from convict times.