Penguin is a town in the north-west coast of Tasmania, Australia. It is located at 41°7’0″S, 146°4’15″E, on the Bass Highway, between Burnie and Ulverstone. It has a population of 2876 (1991 census) and is part of the Central Coast Council.
The town was first settled in 1850 as a timber town, at one stage it was a major exporter of timber throughout Australia and New Zealand.
It is named for the Fairy Penguin rookeries that are common along the less populated areas of the coast.
To the south of Penguin are many small farming towns, including Riana.