Queenstown is a town on the West Coast of the island of Tasmania, Australia. It had a population of 2,352 people as of 2001.
Historically it was a mining town. The mountainous area was first explored in 1862. It was long after that when alluvial gold was discovered at Mount Lyell, prompting the formation of the Mount Lyell Gold Mining Company in 1881. In 1892, the mine began searching for copper. The final name of the Mount Lyell company was the Mount Lyell Mining and Railway Company.
In the 1900s, Queenstown was the centre of the Mount Lyell mining district and had numerous smelting works, brick-works, and sawmills. The area at the time was finely wooded. The population in 1900 was 5051; the district, 10,451.
The town was the base of the Queenstown council up until amalgamation with other west coast councils in the 1990s. The town in its heyday had a collection of hotels, churches and schools that have all significantly reduced since the demise of the Mount Lyell company.
For a brief period in the 1980s during the building of dams by the Hydro (to compensate for the loss of the Lower Gordon scheme due to the No Dams campaign) there was a brief reprieve for the town. However since then businesses have closed down and facilities reduced. The rebuilt Abt Railway has not significantly increased the towns prosperity to date, however renewed mining and mining exploration activity in the region has helped.