Addington is a small town in Victoria, Australia. It is located at the junction of Langi Kal-Kal Road and Edmonston Road, about 15 kilometers north-west of Ballarat. The town began as an agricultural settlement based around Addington Railway Station. A state school opened in 1860 under the name Ercildoune, whilst prior to 1895 the town was known to the postal service as Mount Bolton. The school changed its name to Addington in about 1900.
Addington stands on part of the original grant made to James Stewart in 1794, where he erected a small three-bedroom cottage of sandstone. James Shepherd, who had been transported as a convict in 1791, purchased the farm in 1809. Shepherd’s wife Ann Thorn, who he married in 1795, had also been granted 20 acres at Eastern Farms (vicinity of the modern day Meadowbank) and in 1799, Shepherd had begun to purchase farms adjoining the Thorn Farm.
Shepherd and his sons erected a number of houses on their properties, including The Retreat adjoining Addington, for his daughter Ann Henry. Addington was occupied by Shepherd’s son Isaac and western wing of two bedrooms and a verandah was added to the original structure in about 1832. Isaac Shepherd became a wealthy pastoralist and was a member of the NSW Legislative Assembly in the 1860s. In 1850, the eastern wing comprising three rooms was added.
As part of an extension to Addington’s curtilage and to provide for car parking, the adjoining property at 815 Victoria Road, Ryde, was purchased and the contemporary residential structure demolished. Acquisition of this property, also created good separation between Addington and the adjoining heritage property, The Retreat at 817 Victoria Road, Ryde.
Addington is in fair condition requiring a progressive program of works over the short and medium term to bring the structure back to its restored state. The building was initially the subject of an extensive restoration in the 1980s.
Works required to bring the building back to a good standard include internal tasks such as general painting and inspection together with external works such as roof repairs, brick fretting, eradication of dampness and drainage issues and replacement of several building members. Works required within the building’s curtilage include resetting of levels to divert water flow together with general maintenance.
Completion of these tasks will bring the building back to a state where the institution of a conservative works program will maintain its longevity.