Alberton is a small town in Victoria, Australia. It is located along the South Gippsland Highway, 6 kilometers south of Yarram and 216 kilometers east of Melbourne. Albert River passes through the town.
The township was surveyed in 1842 and named after Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, the husband of Queen Victoria. Initially the township consisted of two settlements, one named Alberton and the other named Victoria, which were separated by Victoria Street (renamed Brewery Road in 1847).
The town’s population grew steadily. Stores, hotels, and churches were built, as well as the Police Magistrate and Court of Petty Sessions. By the 1880s the town’s growth stagnated. The announcement of new railway line increased growth, with new houses and factories being built. Shire Offices were planned for the town, but in 1897 the location was changed to nearby Yarram. This lead to many businesses moving to Yarram, and by 1921 the railway had been extended there.
Today, Alberton is a small cattle grazing community. The Victoria Hotel, built in 1890, still stands.