Balnarring is a town in Victoria, Australia, located in the southeastern Mornington Peninsula about halfway between Hastings and Flinders. Its Local Government Area is the Shire of Mornington Peninsula.
The name Balnarring is Bunurong in origin and means “camp in open place”. The name, however, previously applied to the Parish of Balnarring (which included Merricks) and the town, previously called “Tulum”, was changed to Balnarring after World War II.
On 23 August 1899, the Balnarring Mechanics Institute was opened by the Hon. F.S. Grimwade (MLC North Yarra, 1891-1904). It was a timber hall, used as a community hall and social centre by the community until the 1960s. A new hall was built in 1969. In 1970, the Mechanics Institute building burned down, and in 1979 a reserve was declared in its original location.
Balnarring is at the crossroads of two primary main roads in the south-eastern region of the Mornington Peninsula, namely Frankston-Flinders Road and Balnarring Road (from Mornington), and as a result is home to a few motels, a post office and several shops and cafes including an IGA supermarket. It also has a primary school, Balnarring Primary School. The nearby Balnarring racetrack is also famous for its picnic races and the Emu Plains Market, which operates monthly in summer months and is very popular with locals and tourists.
Balnarring is served by the 782 bus route operated by Peninsula Bus Lines between Frankston and Flinders.