Carlsruhe is a small rural town in the Macedon Ranges Shire between Woodend and Kyneton, alongside the Calder Freeway. The BP Station in Carlsruhe was very busy and received lots of traffic until the new Calder Fwy was created. Carlsruhe is comparatively dry to nearby Mount Macedon. It is approx 50mins from both Melbourne, and Bendigo. Carlsruhe was initially a sheep run established in August 1837 by Charles Hotson Hobden.He was the first man to bring sheep across the Murray from NSW. Carlsruhe was the first rural property north of the young Port Phillip settlement. Carlsruhe has a graveyard that has many tombstones dating back to the 19th century.