Cobram ( 35°58’S, 145°39’E) is situated on the Murray River which forms the border between Victoria and New South Wales. Cobram along with the nearby towns of Numurkah and Yarrawonga is part of Moira Shire. Its twin town of Barooga is located on the other side of the Murray River. Surrounding Cobram are a number of orchards and wineries. At the 2001 census, Cobram had a population of 4,543. with neighboring Barooga having a population of 1,025.
The area is thought to have been occupied by the Bangarang Aborigines prior to white settlement. Charles Sturt explored the Murray downstream of the present townsite in 1830 and, in 1838, he led a droving party with 300 head of cattle through the district, en route to South Australia. Cobram station was taken up in 1845 by Octavius Phillpotts.
Cobram has one government high school and a consolidated school, an Anglican Prep-12 college, a Catholic primary school and a special developmental school. It also has a district hospital with emergency department and an associated nursing home for the elderly.
Smaller towns located nearby include Strathmerton, home of a large Kraft cheese processing plant, Yarroweyah, Katamatite, Katunga, Koonoomoo and the larger towns of Yarrawonga on the Victorian side and Tocumwal on the New South Wales side.
The Peaches & Cream Festival is held biennially around the Australia Day weekend in January.
Major industries apart from the Murray Goulburn Co-Operative factory are the Meiji Dairy Corporation milk processing plant, a large abattoir and orange juice factories.