Garfield ia a town in West Gippsland, Victoria, Australia situated in the Shire of Cardinia. The population is approximately 1000. The area was originally called Cannibal Creek, but was renamed to Garfield in memory of the US President, James Garfield.
Garfield has a small primary school with approximately 100 students. There is a church at the top end of the school grounds. Local businesses include a milk bar, ANZ bank, pub, an antique shop, and a bed and breakfast.
Since the beginnings as a railway and timber town, and later a dairy and potato farming and orchard area, Garfield has always been a close community, with almost everybody knowing everyone else, and in some cases four generations of family staying in the (mainly), farming area. Recent growth has seen a doubling of residential building and the (2006), upgrading of the railway line from Melbourne to Traralgon with increases in frequency of services by upgraded modern trains, is an attraction to new residents. A new housing development currently nearing completion this year (2007), is for over-55’s in a secure environment. Previously derelict shops on the main street are now reoccupied. Garfield’s football team “The Stars”, have been constant performers in local football for many generations. Garfield has an attractive undulating golf course just out of town. A modern community swimming pool operates in the summer months within the recreation precinct where there is also the lawn-bowling club, tennis and netball courts, skateboarding site, along with the newly regenerated football oval alongside of which is the community hall and children’s playground which many local groups utilize for a variety of functions. Garfield’s picture theatre, although long closed, is being restored for future multi-entertainment uses, stands as a landmark in the quiet rural hillside town. A six-day-a-week operating post office, a bakery outlet, a pizza shop, milkbar & take-away shop, a combined-churches charity shop, an equestrian outfitter’s, a craft and wooden toy shop, a country wares and antiques shop, a “mystic” shop, a automotive garage, a chemist, butcher, real estate office and newsagent and full-time ANZ Bank branch, a unisex hairdresser, plus the “Iona Hotel” make up the occupants on the main street which runs parallel with the railway that dissects the town with the station at it’s centre. A local architectural engineering firm has been operational since the 1950’s. The farming land nearby has an influx of horse-owners in recent years and there is now a emu farm nearby open for emu-derived cosmetics sales and tourist visits.