Hepburn Springs was originally known as “old racecourse” on the Jim Crow Diggings. The town was settled by miners in the 1850s, predominantly from China England, Ireland, Germany, Switzerland, Italy and France.
Hepburn Springs is predominantly Edwardian architecture unlike the Victorian architecture of nearby Daylesford. This is due to the devastation of the 1906 bushfire which destroyed most buildings in the settlement.
Hepburn Springs has 7 sites on the Victorian Heritage Register: Hepburn Mineral Springs Reserve; Hepburn Pool; Parma House; Blowhole Gold Diversion Tunnell; Former Macaroni Factory; Jim Crow Creek Gold Mining Diversion Sluice and Breakneck Gorge Puddling Site.