Moe was originally known as The Mowie, then Little Moi, and later Motown. The town’s name is believed to derive from an Aboriginal word relating to the swampy nature of the territory.
Local industry is based around the brown coal deposits in the Latrobe Valley and electric power generation. The area is also noted for its dairy industry.
Moe High School opened in 1952. The school was closed and merged into Lowanna College and the buildings subsequently demolished. The previous Moe High School location has now become a housing development site, with several houses already complete.
While still used by many tourists as a stopover en route to Erica and Walhalla, Moe is also home to Old Gipps Town, a recreated historic settlement, and the annual Moe Cup horse races. Nearby Lake Narracan is used for water sports.