First surveyed in 1873, the town located on Dunmunkle Creek was originally known as Lallat but by 1876 had become known as Rupanyup, Aboriginal word meaning “branch hanging over water”.
The striking central plantation and landscaped area that divides the Wimmera Highway as it passes through the centre of town entices the weary traveller to stop, relax and soak up the atmosphere of this delightful Wimmera Township.
In the middle of town, is an example of an old-style general store named after one of the first shops erected within the town.
In Gibson St is an early and rare example of a portable mill of galvanized iron construction and is adjacent to the first reinforced concrete silos built in the southern hemisphere. These were designed by Sir John Monash.