Taggerty is a town in central Victoria, Australia. It is located at the intersection of Maroondah Highway and Thornton Road. The Acheron River also crosses the highway at Taggerty. It is thought to be named after the aboriginal word for blue clay.
A pastoral run called Taggerty Run was established in 1846. The homestead of the run was called Taggerty House. Gold was discovered along the Acheron River in 1870, which lead to the establishment of two settlements, named Acheron Lower (now known as Acheron) and Acheron Upper (now known as Taggerty). Acheron Upper Primary School opened in 1875. The general store opened in 1891, as did a butter factory, reflecting the area’s shift from gold mining towards dairy farming. The town was given the name Taggerty in 1890 to avoid confusion with Acheron Lower.
Today Taggerty remains a small township, with a general store, a town hall, a caravan park, and several bed and breakfasts.