Bencubbin is a town in Western Australia, located in the North Eastern Wheatbelt, 275km North East of Perth. The town lies within the Shire of Mount Marshall and is home to approximately 200 people. Surveyor General John Septimus Roe first surveyed the region in 1836 and he was followed by sandalwood cutters and stockmen, but it wasn’t until 1908 that the first permanent settlers arrived.
The name ‘Bencubbin’ comes from the Aboriginal word for ‘place of the snakes’ and is now applied to the rock to the north of the town. The aboriginal word is generally spelt ‘Gnylbencubbing’ and is not the rock known as Mount Marshall. Mount Marshall is south east of Bencubbin, whereas the rock known as Gnylbencubbing is at the northern edge of the township. Mount Marshall is named after Captain Marshall McDermott, who was the first manager of the Western Australian branch of the Bank of Australasia. These two rocks and Wiacubbing Hill are three of the largest outcrops around Bencubbin.
The first Bencubbin police station was founded in 1923.