Boyup derives from ‘Booyup’, an Aboriginal term meaning ‘place of big smoke’.
Notable persons who were involved in early exploration and settlement of the area include Augustus Gregory (1845), Commodore Scott (1854), John George Lee-Steere (1861) and William Forrest (1871). The townsite was gazetted as Boyup in 1900, although local usage was mostly “Boyup Brook”.
In 1908 there was a major expansion of the townsite, and locals suggested that as there was some confusion with the similarity of Boyup and Boyanup, the townsite should be renamed Boyup Brook. The renaming was approved, and the townsite regazetted as Boyup Brook in 1909. In the same year, the Bunbury to Katanning railway reached the town.