Brunswick Junction is a town located in the South West of Western Australia along the South Western Highway, between Harvey and Bunbury. It has a population of 1,334 (ABS 2001), about 12% of whom are Italian Australians.
The Brunswick River which runs just north of the town was named by John Septimus Roe in 1830, and was most probably named after the Duke of Brunswick who Governor Stirling served under while in command of the HMS Brazen in 1813 off the coast of the Netherlands. Stirling named a number of Western Australian features after his former navy colleagues. The first farm in the area, “Alverstoke”, started in 1842 by Marshall Clifton, was producing wheat, barley and potatoes within a few years. A bridge was built over the Brunswick River at Australind, Western Australia to give settlers in the area easier access to what was then the main community in the Harvey District.
In 1893, when the Perth-Bunbury railway was completed, no-one lived in the present-day townsite, but the Brunswick Farmers’ Association was formed, with a post office and school operating nearby. In 1898, a junction was opened south of the river when the line to Collie opened, and a railway station was built. Brunswick Junction is mainly known today for dairying, to which a large Friesian cow (nicknamed Daisy) stands testament in a park in the centre of town. Peters Creameries produces milk products, butter and cheese from nearby dairy farmers.
The town also hosts several historic buildings, including the shire hall, Catholic and Anglican churches and railway cottages, and the nearby Beela Valley has a scenic drive which takes in farming country east of the town as well as the Mornington forests. The Brunswick Agricultural Show is one of the largest in regional Australia with over 15,000 visitors in October of each year. A fashion parade, trade exhibits, arts and crafts and flowers are among the things on offer.