Mullewa townsite is located in the Mid West region of Western Australia, 450 km north of Perth and 98 km east north east of Geraldton. In 1894 the government constructed a railway from Geraldton to Mullewa, and as the land in the area was suitable for agriculture an Agricultural Area was gazetted for the area, and also a townsite gazetted in that year. Mullewa is named after Mullewa Spring, an Aboriginal name first recorded on plans of the area following settlers taking up pastoral leases in 1869 and by the surveyor John Forrest in 1873. There is much conjecture over the meaning of Mullewa, with the most accepted being “place of fog”.
One of the Western Australian Government Railways named overnight passenger services from Perth was known as ‘The Mullewa’, it ceased operation in 1974.