Nullagine is in the Western Australia’s northwest region and located on the Nullagine River 296 km south east of Port Hedland and 1186 km north of Perth on the old Great Northern Highway.
Nullagine is an old goldmining town which is but a glimmer of its former glory. The area was first settled by graziers in the 1880s. A few years later gold prospectors moving south from the short-lived mines at Halls Creek found gold in the area.
The area around Nullagine is rich in all kinds of minerals. In 1902 Nullagine was the site of Australia’s first discovery of diamonds. Since then prospectors and fossickers have come to the area and found agate, asbestos, antimony, beryl, chalcedony, copper, jade, jasper, manganese, tiger eye and wolfram.
Visitors eager to fossick for gold can visit the beautiful Beaton’s Rockhole and Gorge 4 km to the west of the town where both gold and precious stones can be found.