Perenjori comes from the Aboriginal word ‘perangery’, meaning waterhole and is situated on the Wubin-Mullewa Highway, three and a half hours’ drive from Perth. In 1915 the railway line was officially opened and the population was 100. Perenjori was approved as the name of a siding in April 1913, and later that year the government decided to establish a townsite there. Perenjori townsite was gazetted in 1916.
Today Perenjori is one of the largest agricultural shires in Western Australia including farming, pastoral and mining leases. Displays of wildflowers bloom from August to October. A great variety of birdlife including black cockatoos, galahs and corellas to name a few, can be found.
Recently the Monsignor John Hawes Heritage Trail was rediscovered. Monsignor Hawes was the architect and, in a lot of cases, the builder of more than 15 beautiful and unusual churches in the mid west of the State. The town has the unusual Catholic Church of St Joseph, which is a tribute to the work of Monsignor Hawes.
Perenjori offers home stays, a hotel/motel and a caravan park. Snacks are available at the caravan park and bakery.