Walkaway – a corruption of the native “Wagga wah” – referring to the bend in the nearby Greenough River, was the name given to the railway station when a line was built from Geraldton in 1887. In 1894 it was linked with Midland Junction by the building of a private line – that of the Midland Railway Company, constructed by an engineer and later the first General Manager of the Company, E Keane. With the railway and an expanding agricultural area, the township grew until with the dieselisation of the railway systems, and the take-over by the State of the Midland Railway in 1964, decline set in. This was also accentuated by the gradual absorption of the original smallholdings into the larger holdings of today’s farming demands.
Ellendale Pool is 20 kilometres from Walkaway, this lovely natural pool laps at the foot of impressive river cliffs and is surrounded by tall shady trees. A lovely spot for a picnic, barbecue or bird watching. High in the cliff face you may see nesting peregrine falcons that inhabit this area. Gas barbecues, picnic tables, toilets and children’s play equipment are available to visitors.