Gowrie Junction is a small township, north-west of Toowoomba covering an area of 4.1 sq km. The town contains a small shop, a school and a community hall. A shopping centre is also in the planning stages. Gowrie Junction is growing all the time, has a free dump located at Glenco. The residents of Gowrie Junction funded and built the town recreational hall by themselves, largely through the efforts of the local progress association.
Gowrie Junction has a petrol station and a newly built community sporting hall.
The six units that made up Gowrie Primary School were named after six properties in the Tuggeranong Valley. School architect, Enrico Taglietti, designed the school buildings to reflect a rural theme.
Athllon comes from the names of Harry Oldfield’s family – Alfred, Ted, Harry, Les, Lile, Oldfield, and Nancy. Their original home stood where ‘Blinky Bill’ child care centre is now. The house was destroyed in the 1952 bushfires, which also wiped out nearby Fadden Pines. The foundations of Oldfield’s second home can be seen in the City Parks Depot beside the Scout Hall in Gowrie. Their farm covered Gowrie, Monash, and parts of neighbouring suburbs.
Yamba The property was one of the soldier settlements located in the Woden Valley in the vicinity of Eddison Park. Walter Eddison drew block 28 in the 1920 allocation of leases for returned servicemen from World War 1. Yamba was sold in 1955 with the property later being subdivided to become part of the Woden Valley development.