Binningup is a town located on the coast in the South West region of Western Australia between Mandurah and Bunbury. It has a population of 746 (ABS 2001).
Binningup takes its name from “Binningup Beach Estate”, a name used by a syndicate of Harvey people who subdivided the area in 1953. It is apparently an Aboriginal name, but not necessarily traditional. The name was in use as early as 1849, and in the early 20th century, residents of the nearby Springhill area walked to the area to swim at the rocks. The area was used as a lookout point by the Voluntary Defence Corps during World War II, many of whom were associated with the Uduc Progress Association.
In 1950, Ted Holthouse and Gordon Goodson were delegated to approach the then Harvey Road Board (now Shire Council) for an opinion. Two years of debate and assessment passed between the two parties before the Association members obtained permission to begin. A syndicate then purchased farmland and subdivided the area in the early 1950s.
By 1962 there was only one resident in the area, but many homes were built in the following few years, and a road was cleared and constructed from Old Coast Road to the area by community members. At the request of the Shire of Harvey, Binningup was gazetted a townsite in 1963.