Ulverstone is a town on the northwest coast of Tasmania, Australia. It lies at the mouth of the Leven River, on Bass Strait. It is on the Bass Highway, around 21 km west of Devonport and 19 km east of Penguin.
Ulverstone had a population of 9,515 at the 2001 census, making it the state’s 2nd largest town behind Kingston, and is part of the Central Coast Council.
A must see visit is to the Ulverstone History Museum, which as a large, diverse and interesting display of Ulverstone’s History. There is also a research room with a vast collection of data and photos.
During the 1850s, the district received a few new settlers but was also frequented by transient timber getters. The timber found ready markets in Melbourne, which desperately required good quality split timber during the gold rush. Up until June 1854, land releases in the district were often purchased under ‘pre-emptive rights legislation’ by distant purchasers whose intention was to keep the land for later sale at an increased price. With the repeal of that legislation, the conditions for settlers to take up residence improved.
Reliable rainfall and generally good quality soils favoured the development of agricultural pursuits. The early pioneers of the district struggled against great odds to secure their sustenance and ultimately develop an income from sale of their produce.
Ulverstone grew quite quickly during the 1890s.
The name Ulverstone is first known to have been used in 1854 when Hugh Ross McKay opened the Ulverstone Store.
The town has become a centralised location between the northwest coast’s two cities, Burnie and Devonport. It is named after Ulverston in England.